Summer is here which means more people are out walking or riding their bikes. This also means that there more pedestrians and bicyclist are at risk of being struck by a motorist while enjoying their activity. Preliminary data shows that pedestrian and bicyclist accident deaths increased last year, even though there was a slight drop in the number of traffic accident fatalities recorded in 2018.
The agency projected estimates of the total number of traffic accident fatalities for 2018, and believes that that number may be in the range of 36,750. That is a one percent increase from the number of deaths that occurred in 2018.
That is the good news. The bad news is that there was a significant 4 percent increase in the number of pedestrian accident fatalities recorded last year. Overall, pedestrian accident deaths increased from 12 percent of all traffic accident deaths in 2017, to 16 percent of all deaths in 2018. Further, bicycling accident fatalities, according to agency data, are projected to increase by 10 percent.